anonymous jones

Dedicated to the nicheless and the nameless ... fringe-dwellers of the madding crowd (does that sound pretentious enough?..)

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Want to know a guaranteed way to annoy 99% of people? (Did I have to ask?!)

This one works for me, just say: "I think the Beatles are mediocre and over-rated." That usually does the trick!

Now, dear readers, you may ask why would we want to know a guaranteed way to annoy 99% of people? The answer, of course, being that it is fun!

So if the Beatles (ho hum) are, in reality, so deplete of worth, why has Paul McCartney become a living 'National Treasure' to the Poms? Obviously

it's because THEY THINK THE BEATLES ARE NOT MEDIOCRE OR OVER-RATED. (But they are English, so that is a pretty good excuse, and so is donkey voting. By donkeys.) How about the rest of the world, though? Well, all I can put it down to is the Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome where someone said it, so someone else repeated it and so on and so forth, no one willing to actually say anything otherwise.
Ee aw.

AM I CHALLENGING YOU TOO MUCH, SWEET READERS? First it is wine, then it is the Beatles ..... can you cope with these new concepts? ?

By the way, regarding Heather Mills' wife-bashing allegations against Sir Paul, like Rove pointed out on channel ten last night, this man has been a vegetarian for, like, sixty years or something, so there is not a lot of iron-action going on in the red corpuscles there. He probably packs about as much punch as an old, limp lettuce leaf! Oh, but Rove did do a funny sketch about Macca hitting her with her own wooden leg saying "Stop kicking yourself! Stop kicking yourself!". Ah, yes it's fun to laugh at other peoples' expense. daed si luaP. daed si luaP.

It's true. I do think that radical thing about the Beatles. "Oh but they were so original, they came up with so many new things blah blah blah". Their music is mostly (to use an English idiom) "naff". They were just in the right place at the right time. For example, given the right place and the right time, I could assume my natural position as The Supreme Potentate and Ruler of The World. Still waiting. Mind you, the Beatles only lucked-out that they achieved what they did while they were all still alive (though perhaps not all quite here ...). Take a look at poor old Van Gogh! He would have gladly given a bit more of his ear to enjoy his artistic fame while he was on the same side of the ground as those sunflowers!

I'm the sort of person who can see good in everyone. Have you noticed that about me? I am, dear readers, and I have such a capacity for generosity with my opinion!! So is it any surprise that I can see the good EVEN IN THE BEATLES? I can, you know. There is one song that I absolutely applaud and I will give you a little clue and see if you can guess: it has a certain notoriety because of it's unfortunate connection with Charles Manson. Got it? Yes, it is Helter Skelter and I think it's the only decent song they ever made. And they churned 'em out, let's face it. "Imagine" - sappy. "Eleanor Rigby" - maudlin. "Yellow Submarine" - proves my point. "Crazy Frog" - genius!


People don't like hearing the truth and that annoys them. People don't like a voice that speaks against the status quo and that annoys them. People leave their parsley garnish on the plate and that really annoys me. Conclusion: people are dumb, have no taste in anything, and don't know what is good for them.

Lucky I'm here, I guess!




Leave your opinion:
What do you think is the MOST stupid Beatles song ever??

(Naked donkeys please refrain from commenting.)
Monkees welcome.

8 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger Chauntecleer said...

I'm actually not qualified to comment on the "most stupid Beatles song ever” because I MUST BE THE ONLY PERSON ON THE PLANET NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEIR MUSIC!!!! Why am I not familiar with them, you may ask? Well, it's because their music is FAR TOO NEW!! I actually listen mostly to "classical" music, and as you know, most of that stuff is centuries old. Although I am familiar with a lot of 20th Century, or "modern classical" music and some jazz. Sometimes I listen to pop music on the radio, but I can't tell you which band is which. :P I'm deprived, I know.

Your post reminds me a lot of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, which I am currently reading for class. I noticed that it's on your list of favorite books, so I know that you will understand this. Pirsig writes a lot about Quality, and he constantly asks what it is. How do we know what Quality is? Is it something that we can objectively measure, or is its assessment merely subjective?

While yes, I do question people's tastes quite a bit, I need to remember that taste, as crazy as it seems, is most likely subjective (though Zen confuses me about it sometimes). So if someone likes the Beatles and you don't, does that automatically make this person stupid? I don't think so; everyone has different tastes. It's most likely that this person is already stupid in the first place. :P

But in the matter of taste, it's hard not to be judgmental sometimes. I know that I am! I understand that sometimes you can only wonder "what is this person thinking?" The key to coming to terms with this is to accept that human beings are often irrational and hypocritical creatures. I revel in my own hypocrisy; it's kind of like a game to me now. 100 points to the person who points out my hypocrisy!

I'll laugh along.

Truly, I will.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger anonymous jones said...

I am 100% objective in my subjectivity ! Therefore, I'm right.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger DPTH International said...

I have to agree about the yellow submarine song. pretty silly, but there were also a lot of drugs going on around there time too .... sooooooo ......

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger DPTH International said...

By the way thanx for the comment at my blog. You have great taste in music (or atleast your kids) And I think I'll review Dream Theatre's "Metropolis pt II" soon. You've inspired me so once I'm done with some Halloween music, I'll get right on it. I have 2 halloween transition reviews to get me into my next series of reviews. Thanx for the inspiration!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Beatles got popular because the girls went crazy and their parents went apeshit that their little darlings were being corrupted by the mop headded Brits.

Guess you can tell I have never been a big Beatles fan. I was more of a head banger back in the day. I do have to admit that I like your style..........

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger pilgrimchick said...

I'll agree at least that the idea that the Beatles cannot be subjectively listened to or viewed as a musical group does get annoying. As for really dumb songs, I'll say there are a few on the White Album (who cares about Revolution Number 9 anyway?) and also some on Let It Be, regardless of the quality theme song.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Jello said...

the most stupid song by them could be any one of the songs they wrote when they started tweaking. Just pick one and I'll tell you it sucks. Except I Am A Walrus. haha that one's just plain funny!

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger TexInTheCity said...

My vote is for Love Me Do, that song gives me the heebies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home