anonymous jones

Dedicated to the nicheless and the nameless ... fringe-dwellers of the madding crowd (does that sound pretentious enough?..)

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Floccinaucinihilipilification has changed my world. Up until two nights ago I was one of those simpletons who thought antidisestablishmentarianism was the longest word (not including medical humdingers) in the English language. (No one counts supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, not even the Queen and it is her language.) But I think Her Majesty would use floccinaucinihilipilification quite happily since it was invented by a swotty Eton College student. While reading his Latin textbook, and wanting to avenge himself on this dead language, he noticed four words meaning 'nothing' that he could connect (and show himself up as a smarty pants all at the same time). (Incidentally, my cousin is a Latin master and has taught at swotty English colleges and I don't know why I wanted to mention that other than the swottiness is catching..) Anyway, since the Queen is in charge of the language, she must have to test-drive all new words; floccinaucinihilipilification dates from around 1741, so it is before Her Mag's time, but this is the reason why any words Americans invent will never be real English. For example, she is unlikely to ever say, "Yo, butler-dude, fetch One some poached quail and a Pepsi or One shall diss you to your home-boys." However, it is very reasonable that all Australianisms would be embraced in the Royal household, e.g., "Oh bugger off, Charles".

If you google floccinaucinihilipilification for an image, you come up with quite a lot of photos. Here is one. Now, the definition of floccinaucinihilipilification basically is: the act of assessing something as worthless. YOU MAY BE DOING THIS RIGHT NOW! But don't ever tell anyone that you are floccinaucinihilipilificating because they may take a few steps back from you, or tell you that you'll go blind.

So why has it taken so long for this word to reach my ears? This has disturbed me and kept me awake for two nights! Of course, this would immensely please that snickering, smarmy little Eton College student who invented it: that his snooty word took over two hundred years to reach The Colonies (guffaw guffaw!) Why, even Instant Jim (He of the Massive Planet-Sized Brain) did not know it and heard it from one of his year three pupils! - Could it be because we live near the most isolated capital city in the world? Well, that is a good excuse. But you know, we are not a cultural desert here. Anna Pavlova, the famous Russian ballerina, visited in the 1920s!

Here is the pavlova, our cultural dessert, that we invented in honour of her. See the resemblance? Yes, it was invented right here in Perth at the Esplanade Hotel. (Beware New Zealanders who try and lay claim to it. They are just jealous because all they have contributed to the world is sheep and hobbits).

Ah floccinaucinihilipilification I love you! I dedicate my blog to you. In a world of lots and lots of really really important stuff you are a shining beacon of something to us all! You define yourself. And the Queen leads us by example. Long live floccinaucinihilipilification!

8 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

OK, now just how in hell do you pronounce the darn thing????

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Angie said...

Ditto junebugg! And Jones, where do you get this stuff? Interesting!

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger pilgrimchick said...

Well said. In terms of "American" English, however, there are a few advantages. I mean, come on, "peckish?" What snobby, nose in the air pointing guy came up with that? You're hungry, that's all it is. "Aubergine?" It's an eggplant my friends, and at least to us Americans, we are worldly enough not to classify it as an "exotic" vegetable in our version of Tesco.

Personally, I think that they should put supercalafragalisticexpialadocious in the dictionary. Why not? It was Julie Andrews after all.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Chauntecleer said...

I really need to check out your blog more often! I really enjoy your writing, and this post made me laugh!

Floccinaucinihilipilification is now one of my favorite words, and I am now going to proselytize others at my school to the wonders of this extrodinary word. Heck, I might even use it in a paper.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=floccinaucinihilipilification&x=0&y=0

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger anonymous jones said...

flocky-nocky-ni-heely-peely-fication


:-)

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Zoe said...

Wonderful column here, Jones! A very welcome diversion and funny, too!

As another American, I allow that we speak a quite 'loose' version of English compared to our far more proper English cousins, but since when has that been a crime? (Actually I thought that was our appeal.)

However, I'd like to add that we unfortunately speak 'American' more than anything else (and sadly my world travels has only confirmed this), but some areas here are distinctively far more 'English' than others. I was raised in the Midwest, where "um" can, and is, used as every possible component of a sentence. When I've traveled Northeast, if you pull out the (sometimes heavy) accents you can come quite close to some more English-recognizable grammar. But now I live in the Southeast (I learned early on that North Carolina is not the South), and well, down here, we don't speak English at all. Depending if I've ventured into the local Piggly Wiggly (no, I'm not making that name up) grocery store or not, I'm not even certain anyone on the premises speaks American.

I'd show the new word off for my friends here but by the time I broke it down to syllables, most likely it'd be time for another election or something. The beauty of any language is not to be in any hurry to mispronounce it...LOL.

Actually, Jones, there should be a little experiment someday between Aussie/English and their American equivalents...after watching "Ready, Set, Cook" in Oz this past January, I came back all inspired to try all the new dishes I'd seen. Problem is the recipes took some deciphering from the website. When I needed help finding one at the Piggly, the whole shopping thing almost collapsed as being 'lost in translation'. To paraphrase Mr Gump, "sometimes Southern is what Southern does". "Hogjaw and grits" we have; "fennel-infused capiscums" are a whole different beast.

I will try the word, though, and I'll promise to try it in the Queen's English even...or as close as I can attempt. Most likely I'll still be working on it next week.

Kudos again on a great post...pleasure to read and laugh along with.

 
At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pron:
flossy nossy ni hilly pilly fication. get a life!!
khb
[i'd been under the impression that lewis carroll invented it.]

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, it's been in the oed for many many years -- since i was in college, in prehistoric times

kenhbrooks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home