anonymous jones

Dedicated to the nicheless and the nameless ... fringe-dwellers of the madding crowd (does that sound pretentious enough?..)

Friday, May 16, 2008


I love not spending money.
I feel like I've won.

I love walking through the shopping centre, with the promos and the racks of fashion, and all the latest must-haves screaming out at me to buy them and I just keep walking in smug satisfaction through the droplet clouds of uncovered coughs.

It's like a game. It's like the Devil's snare tentacles in the first Harry Potter movie: just relax and you can free yourself from their money-grabbing, choking hold. Then you can continue unfettered, ducking the sneeze sprays, and conclude your time at the shops much quicker.


I like not dealing with money. I also like not dealing with people in possession of unhygienic manners. The smell of white vinegar and bicarb soda as I clean my kitchen is a sweet one to me. But Dettol in the air-conditioner at the shops wouldn't hurt anyone. (Unlike my shopping trolley... .)

No, I don't have to comply with the advertising fashionazi and buy this season's new look. I will wear things out. And maybe I just don't want to buy some formaldehyde-infused garment from China.

GASP! A RADICAL IN OUR MIDST!! What do I mean "wear things out"? Just what it says, dear readers. It's an ancient, deep secret from our past. Like handkerchiefs. Or tissues. Or common courtesy. I'm not interested in contacting other shoppers' snot wipe.

"Dear Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz? My friends all have Porsches, I must make amends ...". Oh, the shopping lists Heaven must get sent everyday.
Everyone gets their junk mail.
Angels must think we are so gross in our consumerist stew of communicable germs.

Up-date, up-grade, buy-up, make-over. Disinfect.



Get down, get basic, commune with the earth. Preserve.




Is it a want or is it a need? Is it a disease? Emancipate.



And keep a hospital-grade bacteria hand gel in the car to use before you get home.


6 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Blogger Raffy Jay said...

thanks for visiting my blog.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Yes you are right, so we made our own:) My hubby a carpenter(roofy)

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger DPTH International said...

I remember walking through a marketplace in Mexico without buying anything. It was tough because the shopkeeps are VERY pushy. Ah, what a sense of Satisfaction I had that day!

Love the Sheep pic!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger pilgrimchick said...

I have to agree about the whole "not spending money and therefore having money" concept. Unfortunately, I am not much of a practitioner.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger K.C. said...

This post really hits home to so many people, even though it was sooo funny. We are getting a Walgreens close to my house, really close. You know that feeling...

We don't have a store right there...right next to us. And now there is a store with little knick knacks and must have's right there. It is going to be a challenge not to get EVERY sale item that they have every time I go in. That is my weakness.

And you will know by my blog that that is EXACTLY what I must NOT do... KC

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Raffy Jay said...

Money talks. Admit it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home